Saturday, December 19, 2009

Busy, busy days.

Whew. Long week for us for some reason. I don't even remember all of what we did, but we were just so busy. Yesterday we had our homeschool potluck down the street at Malissa's house. It was nice - because it was so close to us, for once. We stayed until nearly 3pm. It was a lot of fun, and it was a relaxing atmosphere and a ton of good food. After that, we came back home, and picked up milk bottles and went and picked up our milk. Livea fell asleep on the way, so when we got home I turned the car off and told the kids "lets just all take a nap in the car and wait for Alexis to call." Alexis was calling for us to pick her up at another babysitting job she was at. Then she was going with us to Taekwondo and Target to help me help the kids Christmas shop. I seriously dozed in the front seat at Jenna quized me on her Pet Palz game. She was asking me questions every 12 seconds, and I was slurring answers out at her. At ten to 4 Alexis called. I finally got off my rear and put the milk in the house and then remembered I needed to wrap a gift for the Christmas party I was supposed to be going to...but wasn't. It was our coffee group party, but I had forgotten about the kids' Taekwondo lesson, and did not want to miss it the day before their belt test. I had already RSVPed that I'd go, and participate in the gift exchange so I had a "person" and all. I quickly wrapped the gift (a very pretty scarf for Brittany), grabbed some snacks and water for the kids and left to get Alexis in Forsythe housing on post. Then we headed over the Kelly's to drop the gift. Talked to Kelly for a few minutes, and then off we went to Taekwondo. We decided we needed to eat before shopping at Target, so we went to McDonald's, much to all the kids dismay; Alexis had a laugh about that one, saying she's never heard a kid complain about having to eat at McDonald's. I didn't really care for the choice either, but we were all starving, so it honestly wasn't that bad. Then Target. It was actually really fun, and very organized, and we all had a great time.

I told Alexis I'd keep each kid for 15 minutes, and then meet her back at a specific spot. I took Adam first. I asked him what he wanted to get the kids, and he knew exactly what he wanted to get everyone. He said he wanted to get Jenna Littlest Pet Shop; Luke Legos; and Livea he picked a paint by number in the $1 section - "because she loves to paint" - and she does. It took way less than 15 minutes for him to pick each item, and pay. It was amazing. I did not think that amazing would be repeated with any of the other kids.

I was completely wrong about that though.
I took Luke next, and he knew what he wanted to get everyone too. He said Livea likes Ni Hao Kay Lan (she does), and he wanted to get her that; Jenna, Littlest Pet Shop, and Adam he said something Transformer, but ended up getting him one of those metallic sounding microphones (that he wanted the other day when we were in another store), for like $1. It was fast, and easy.

Jenna was next - not so easy, but nearly as fast. She had no idea what she was going to get anyone, and her eyes wandered most of the time. She wasn't nearly as focused as the boys. They were excited to get gifts for the other kids, but Jenna had stars in her eyes looking at all the toys - I had to recenter her a few times by reminding her that we were here for others, not herself. She bought a puzzle for Livea, Legos for Luke and a Bakugan thing for Adam.

I gave the kids $15 each, and told them if they wanted to spend more, then they would have to use their own money. Jenna was the only one who went over, by $2 and some change, but not bad at all really.

I gave the kids $25 and told them they could go buy a gift for me with Alexis, and I took Livea to look for gifts for the kids. I did not really think that she would end up getting anything because she is just very little. The kids have all been doing puzzles lately though and when we got to the puzzles section, I couldn't pry her away and asked her if she wanted to get a puzzle for each of the kids. She picked (she really picked!) a LITTLEST PET SHOP for Jenna - surprise, surprise, so everyone knows Jenna likes LPS!!! Star wars for Adam, and an I Spy puzzle for Luke. She did very good. I am still shocked - and she stayed in budget without even knowing she had one, what a good little girl.

I bought a few little things for the boys' stockings, and we were done. It was so much fun, seriously - I get why people hire nanny's. It was just so easy, and so helpful, and nice. Even Alexis said she had fun (she tried to only take $5 from me when I paid her - and I owed her $20, saying it was so much fun, and she really didn't do much). She had made up a scavenger hunt for the kids the night before - a boy hunt and a girl hunt, so the kids just went around the store trying to find something "hello kitty," or a woman wearing brown shoes....... they had fun, and were occupied the entire time. I can't express how freeing it was to have her there, so I was able to take each child individually to pick gifts.

Adam fell asleep on the car ride home. We didn't get home until 10pm. Everyone brushed teeth, got undressed and went to sleep. I woke up at 8:45 this morning to a quiet house. Adam and Livea fast asleep in bed with me still. I think the day wore everyone out. Jenna and Luke woke up just minutes after I did, and Adam and Livea woke up a half an hour later.

I helped all the kids wrap their presents so they could put them under the tree, and no one has told anyone else what they bought them - yet. I thought for sure Livea would be the first to blurt "Here is your puzzle I got you Jenna!" But she hasn't said a word - I explained it to her that she had to keep it a secret at one point when she said "This is Jenna's puzzle???" I told her she had to not say that and just tell Jenna "this is your present Jenna" - because this is a surprise until Christmas, etc. So I think it sunk in.

Taekwondo testing was....long. Tiny Tigers tested at 2pm - Advanced class tested at 4pm. We were there for 3 hours. The boys' class tests in 20 minutes and they are done. Well, Jenna's class has black belts and red/black, and the red/black belt form is ALL 9 forms put together. I think it took them nearly 10 minutes to do their entire form....it just went on and on and on, and ON. I can't believe what they have to remember. Then there is sparring. Then there is weapons. Then there is board breaking. There is a LOT to Advanced testing.

Adam has been super squirmy lately. I warned him that he needed to sit still, like a black belt, all that....no talking at the wall, etc. What did it do? He talked with his neighbor at the wall, sat on his knees instead of cross-legged, wiggled and squirmed. I guess Jeremiah was sick on Thursday/Friday. D.C. taught the class yesterday. But she wasn't at the belt test. Jeremiah's teacher from MacPherson was there. 5th Degree Black Belt. Jeremiah said he gave D.C. his stomach bug, and she was at home sick. 5th-degree-black-belt-guy had to tell Adam to turn around and stop talking when he was trying to talk to them after their testing. He was sitting on his knees too. I don't know what his problem is - but he has just been annoyingly mischievous lately, and I am ready to put him in the next flat-rate box I send to you. :o)

The kids did good though, and we now have 2 camo belts, and a green belt. The boys have their sparring gear (uhh, cha-ching $$), and are excited to try it on. Jenna is dying to beat them up, uh, I mean spar "on them" as she puts it. ha. I think they're going to kick her butt. But don't tell her I said so.

I took the kids to Cracker Barrel for a celebratory dinner of breakfast. Now they are watching The Secret of Roan Inish. Liv fell alseep on the way home, it was nearly 7pm, I'm hoping she'll sleep all night, but I am not convinced really.

Do you even have time to read this much?

Here are pictures of the New Belts:



Love you and miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment