Sunday, August 30, 2009

eat it, it's good for you!

Last night I made a Dr. Sears recipe from The Healthiest Kid in the Neighborhood. I love this book, and I love the recipes in it. I read it a few years ago when we lived in Hawaii. So they share their family recipes at the end of the book, and there is one that is called Cheesy Pie. I made it first when we lived in Hawaii.

I love it. It is a bit like a quiche, as it has eggs in it, and I think maybe everyone would like it better without, but I love eggs too, so everything about this recipe calls to me. Well, I don't think I've made this dish in a little more than a year. So last night, having all of the ingredients on hand (wow!), I whipped the dish up real quick-like. Luke has Saturday dinner details, so he helped every step of the way, and 9 times out of 10 when he helps cook he will eat his dinner. Something about helping to make the food increases the likeability factor. I'm not sure why. So Livea ate every single bite of hers, and had second helpings. Everyone else took 3 bites and, incredibly enough, they were FULL. Hmmm. I said "Luke, do you like the dinner you made?", he said "YAH, I love it", but I see he only ate 3 bites, and then everyone cried when I told them they weren't having any other dinner, but then they decided they didn't care as long as they didn't have to eat anymore.

I have to admit. I was really mad about it. I just can't see what is so bad about it. Turkey is pretty bland, and the entire dish needs salt to lend it a more full flavor..... but....but....but.... it's not that bad people!!! Yes, I was mad. I was mad at our silly little kids for not eating their healthy dinner. I told the boys that they would have to eat it for breakfast, that is how mad I was. So this morning, Adam promptly reminded me, rice chex bowl of cereal in front of him, "Mommy, you said we had to eat our dinner for breakfast this morning," ha.ha. ha. ha. I told him I changed my mind, and that I was just mad that they didn't like it.

Hmph. I am thinking about making it for like 3 weeks straight. Little spoiled, pickies.

It's not that bad!! I like it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment