Saturday, June 30, 2012

bird fruit vampires

I had that second palm trimmed yesterday.  So yesterday evening I was sitting out at the pool with the kids, reading, while they swam.  It was pretty hot, so I sat down and put my legs in - so refreshing.  I was sitting there reading, at the deep end, with my legs in, and I kept sort of seeing something out of the corner of my eye, while I read.  I kept looking up, toward that spare bedroom, but didn't really know why or what I was looking for.  Finally, after three or four times of doing that I put my book down, and just stared for a minute.  And finally, it moved again, and I saw it:


A totally ugly baby pigeon.  It was in the direct sunlight, and panting and the ugly thing broke my heart.  I'm sure it fell out of its nest when the palm was trimmed in the morning.  This thing is giant, and looks like a baby turkey to me.  But I looked up images for baby pigeons and am pretty sure it's just a pigeon.  We moved it into the shade.  Jenna built a little nest for it with grass, and the paper towel, and gave it a bowl of water, which it actually drank some of.  I am afraid to go out there and look right now because I am sure it is either dead because of no food, or because it was catfood.

Veggie co-op today was amazing, however.  Look at all this!  How ever will we eat it all??  Come here and eat some of this food, will you please?!


I could make an amazing mexican soup, like tortilla soup or something, but it is SO hot right now.  The simple thought of soup right now is enough to make me sweat a bucket or two.

I went with your sisters last night to see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.  Yes, I'm serious.  It was a little bit hilarious.  I think you should watch it just for a good laugh.  Your sisters and I were trying hard to stifle our loud hilarity, and you know what made me laugh even more?  No one else in the theatre was even laughing!!  So because I am finding it the most hilarious thing since that Adam Sandler Zohan movie, and everyone else is quiet and serious, I just laugh even more.  So I decide to just stop laughing, because once I start I can't stop.  Then Jeanette starts laughing, and it all starts again.  I am still not sure if it was supposed to be funny or not.  I think probably: not.

There is a great quote repeated in the movie a few times though, that I really liked: "History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality; soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle, but forgets the blood. However history remembers me before I was a President, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth..."  Miss you much, love you more.

1:00pm Update:
I looked up "how to save a baby pigeon," and found a list of Wildlife Rescue people.  Called up a place, the guy said "Jeannie would be closer for you" and gave me her number.  She was at 36th street and Cactus, and now the ugly baby is too.  That woman had a junk load of birds, let me tell you.  I have no idea how someone could ever have the patience for that, but she must.  And now I don't have to feel bad about trimming the tree and killing a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment